Watch these Republicans put their foot in their mouths and show the country their true character.
Republican Government Shutdown Quotes
1. “We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”
~ Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., said to The Washington Examiner
Stutzman has since tried walking back this statement, as Democrats have seized on it to show that the Republicans are indeed playing hostage taking politics over the government shutdown. Stutzman’s colleagues have renounced the quote as well, to some extent. But the damage was already done, as it provided a behind the veil look at what some of these guys are really thinking.
2. “I just did CNN and I just go over and over again, ‘We’re willing to compromise. We’re willing to negotiate.’ I don’t think they poll tested ‘We won’t negotiate.’ I think it’s awful for them to say that over and over again…I think if we keep saying, ‘We wanted to defund (Obamacare), we fought for that, but now we’re willing to compromise on this’ – I know we don’t want to be here, but we’re going to win this, I think.”
~ Senator Rand Paul, to Senator Mitch McConnell, caught on a hot mic (watch below).
So, your party refuses to pass a clean budget, in an attempt to go after Obamacare, which isn’t related to the issue at hand, and then you claim the moral high ground by saying you are willing to negotiate? Again, the Republicans here show they are playing hostage taker politics. It also shows just how disingenuous and cynical these guys are, which is something everyone should keep in mind the next time they see Senator Paul talking about anything on television. It’s all messaging and greed.
3. This last Republican quote comes in the form of a heated conversation one Texas Tea Party Conservative, Congressman Randy Neugebauer, had with a Park Ranger. The two squared off outside the WWII Memorial, which was closed due to the government shutdown. Eventually veterans were allowed in, despite orders, but non-veterans were denied access.
Congressman Neugebauer: “How do you look at them and say – how do you, are you going to deny them access? I don’t get that.”
Park Ranger: “It’s difficult.”
Neugebauer: “Well it should be difficult.”
Park Ranger: “It is difficult. I’m sorry, sir.”
Neugebauer: “(The) Park Service should be ashamed of themselves.”
Park Ranger: “I’m not ashamed.”
Neugebauer: “Well you should be.”
Get that? He thinks the Park Ranger doing her job should be ashamed of herself! No, Congressman, you should be ashamed of yourself for shutting down the government, yelling at a woman for doing her job, and for apparently having as low a sense of irony as you have an IQ.
Latest posts by Jeff Taylor (see all)
- Rolfe Neigenfind Interview - October 17, 2015
- Comedian Duncan Trussell’s Inspiring Call to DIY Arms - July 28, 2015
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Bright Grandstands on Gay Marriage During Confederate Flag Debate - July 7, 2015